Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Saint Martin de Porres

If you've checked out my new blog, History Weekly, (and if you haven't you should: historyweekly.blogspot.com) you know that I'm studying the 30 Years' War in history right now. So I'm doing some saints from that time period. St. Teresa of Avila was one. St. Martin de Porres is another that I included in my history report for school this week. This is his story:

Martin de Porres was born in Lima, Peru in 1579. When he was 15, he joined the Dominican friary as a lay brother. He loved animals very much and even was said to have gotten rid of a rat infestation to a kitchen by talking and reasoning with the rats, promising them food if they promised to stay out of the kitchen! He also maintained a cat and dog veteranary hospital at his sister's house. He was gifted with levitation and bilocation (being in two places at once) and he died in 1639 and was canonized in 1962.

1 comment:

  1. How fascinating! When Winter arrives in CO, tiny field mice from the nearby prairie scurry into our attics. :( :( Wish I had St. Martin's prowess with the mice. Look forward to your blog each day. LUV, Nanny

    ReplyDelete